Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Carrie's Car Got hit

It was at the end of my lunch break when my cell phone rang. The number had a strange area code, and I assumed it might be another teacher calling and looking for a substitute (too bad I'm working full-time!).  I picked up up the phone fully expecting a 15 second conversation somewhere along these lines:

Caller: "Hi, I'm a teacher at.."
Me: "Hey! I'm a teaching ESY too!"
Caller: "You are?"
Me: "YEAH!"
'click.'
(I've done this before and found it amusing).

However, it was USAA. "Mr. McCruari, your wife is not hurt, but her car was hit..."

I'm glad that the conversation started with my wife not being hurt. Carrie's in her second trimester.

The lady on the line continued to tell me a little bit about what happened, and then told me she was concerned about how upset my wife was. She asked if it would be okay if I could take to her and help calm her down.

Poor Carrie, was really upset. It was a hit-and-run on our 'new' used Prius that we'd bought from her parents. At this point, my lunch break was already over, but I signaled the other IA to go ahead and take the kids to the gym without me. The USAA agent, Carrie, and I spent the next 15 minutes talking on the phone and figuring out who to take the car to and what we needed to do to get a rental.

Praise God, that they called during my lunch break. I wouldn't have picked up otherwise. Praise God again, that Carrie wasn't in the car when it happened. It's a crappy situation, but I'm thankful that it happened the way it did instead of some other way that could've been much much worse.

I called Carrie again during the students' silent reading time to check on her. She hadn't gotten home yet, but she sounded collected. Then I called again the moment I put my students on their bus, and Carrie had already taken it upon herself to contact the mechanics, drop the car off, and pick up a rental. Once Carrie gets into 'work-mode' she doesn't relent until the job gets done.

Anyway, Carrie's driving around a rental Camry and life is continuing. Hopefully, we'll see the Prius again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment