Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Baby's first fever

Not fun. Shane has his first fever.

Carrie checked Shane's temperature when I was driving home from work and he had a 99.8 or so.  I figured he might have had a cold or some other sort trifling illness, but his temperature went up to 100.5 around 8 PM and then when we checked at 10:00 PM it was 101. We called the doctor at the first 100+ reading and were told to give him some infant Tylenol.  Of course, there has been some sort of recall on Tylenol products so when I went to Giant there were none on the shelves. The girl behind the pharmacy assured me that the CareOne I got was the exact same thing, but the medicine hasn't seemed to have dropped my son's temperature.  We just got him to lay down asleep (hopefully for the night).

Carrie called the doctor again at 10 PM and was told that we ought to have him seen by someone. Carrie and I talked and my opinion is that we should check his temperature again in an hour and go to the urgent care if his temperature is still going up.  If it stays the same or drops (now that he's asleep) we're going to hold off until his 8:15 AM appointment (unless of course he wakes up crying and his temperature is up...then it's urgent care time).

This whole scenario started off with me thinking "it's good for Shane to get a small cold to build up his immune system some," but it's turning into less of a "it'll help him grow" to a "let him get better ASAP."


UPDATE: Shane's little fever thing is all over. Carrie stayed home Wednesday and took little man to a short Dr's appointment. The doctor's orders: just give him a little infant tylenol if he needs it. Baby's first fever was no big deal. Shane was a little fussy the next two days and then he acted fine when I took a sick day to watch him on Friday. It's now Saturday and the merry midget is bouncing behind me in an attempt to rattle his brain as usual (he loves that bouncer).

No comments:

Post a Comment