Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Aftermath

We woke up today and the power was still on. Compared to other areas, we were barely affected. Chincoteague island was underwater (my wife was worried about the wild horses), Carrie's friend Charlie reported NYC shut down all public transportation and bridges (no escape!), and in NJ there was a picture of a shark swimming in someone's yard. This is a storm that some areas will be talking about for decades.

By comparison, my neighbor's mailbox fell over and we have some standing water under our porch. The largest casualty of the hurricane was Shane's sleep pattern. He took a 30 minute nap driving back from Nana and Pa's yesterday, went to bed late, and then woke up before 5:30 AM. Unfortunately, I was up past 11 because that was supposed to be the apex of the winds. I wanted to make sure I was awake in case anything happened. Thankfully, nothing did. Carrie went upstairs earlier, but she was still awake when I followed suit. You could feel the house shifting in the wind once you went up a floor! It was enough to keep my wife awake.

Not me! I fell asleep quickly. I like the sound of rain. If the storm wasn't causing so much havoc in other people's lives I would have even enjoyed the ambiance.

I got an email from work today saying "The school's fine!" I would say the odds are 75/25 I'll be back in the classroom tomorrow. There are roads shut down all through the county, but I don't think the school system will want to stay closed for too much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment