Monday, April 14, 2014

Swinging Around

Shane and I tried to go swimming Sunday. The doors were locked.

Entry was not barred at the neighborhood playground we found. There was a Korean birthday party.

We didn't get cake, but Shane joined up with some of the kids.


This was an awkward dad moment for me. I saw the party; every kid on the playground belonged to it. There were no adults save me and no other kids except Shane.

At first, Shane climbed around on the playground, because I thought the older boys on the tire swing were too rough. When they left, the girls switched out and Shane ran over to say hi. My first though was to stop him. I held back and decided to see what would happen.

Shane made friends. He was squealing and laughing so hard!


Honestly, I was terrified half the time. The kids started pushing that swing something fierce. It moved slower when all the older girls were standing on it. No, they waited for the young kids to get on before really rocketing it around. I think the other little girls sitting with Shane may have been 3 or 4. I didn't ask.

I didn't step in either. I stayed semi-close, but played it like it was only for pictures.


Nothing bad happened despite my raised blood pressure. Everyone held on and laughed and laughed and laughed. It's not a situation I would have put Shane in, but since it developed on it's own I let it (and him!) ride. No harm, so no foul.

Shane's going to be so sad the next time we go by that playground if no one's there! We learned that he was swinging with the birthday girl, April, so Shane sang her "Happy Birthday" when we left! A big, natural daddy smile lit my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment