Sunday, May 31, 2015

Legotastrophe

The one problem with Legos: missing pieces.* 


Shane and I went out to play on the front porch Sunday morning. He was insistent. He wanted to bring his Lego car.

Trouble loomed on the horizon. "Shane, be careful with your Legos. If a piece falls through the boards it's gone for good."

"It's okay, Daddy!" Shane said.

Almost immediately, one of the Lego pieces fell between the porch floorboards.

Shane stared at the boards. "Daddy, can you get it?"

"I'm sorry. It's gone."

Shane was beside himself. He wanted to rip off the lattice and crawl to go get it. I told him, "No."

Shane cried and cried.

Full disclosure: I figured I'd unscrew the lattice and try to get the piece later (if I could find it). However, I thought it would be a good life lesson to have some disappointment in my son's life. He did not handle it very well!

I consoled Shane at first. After a little bit I pointed out that Shane still had 20+ other Lego pieces left. One minor piece AWOL was not a major loss.

Shane did not see it that way. He was distraught. His toy was no longer 'complete.' I thought Shane had mostly processed it when Mommy came home. He started the tear train all over again. He wouldn't calm down, so I eventually took him to his room. I told him that he could rest and come down whenever he was ready. The door was open.

Maybe I wasn't the most emphatic.

That evening, I broke out a flashlight, a screwdriver, and went hunting. All is right in the world again. I managed to retrieve the missing piece.

*The one problem I'll mention here, at least. Stepping on them barefoot hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment