Monday, September 12, 2016

Fall Soccer Season - Under 8s

It started off enthusiastic (if you don't count the "I'm never going to go! I choose when to go to soccer!" tantrum less than an hour before).


Shane remembered his coaches' names. "COACH CORY!!!" he yelled and ran over to re-introduce himself.


Our practice was at a local elementary school - the hilliest school I've ever seen. Shane and I each enjoyed the hills in our own ways (I might have even joined him if not for work clothes and keys).


The enthusiasm kept for several rolls and the start of practice. Shane had a hard time standing still or following directions exactly, but he was still enthusiastic!


Things started to turn for the worse during Red-Light, Green-Light. 

Shane wanted to win. He didn't want to slow down on Yellow Light or stop on Red Light. The coaches didn't say anything and I didn't say anything (at first). After Shane had gone back and forth and shouted something like "Look at me! I'm first!" I should have bit my tongue. Instead, I said something like "You're cheating if you don't stop on red!" I regretted it once I said it, too.

I don't know if that comment started the slide, but the slide had officially begun. Shane has trouble with competition. If he doesn't think he's doing well, he shuts down. 

Here's a scene from later in practice.


Everyone else:


Shane drilling holes in the dirt with plastic cones.


I took the picture on the sly to try and avoid giving him attention for doing the wrong thing. 

There were a few more good moments in the first half of practice. Shane liked the crab walk kicks, and Coach Dave got him to pass the ball back and forth a handful of times.


But Shane's interests were elsewhere. He spent the first water break running up and rolling down the hill.


This leads to my second mistake: I forgot to bring water. Shane really wasn't getting THAT much of a workout and we ate dinner and drank before practice, but he was mortified (I thought I did pretty good: fed, pre-hydrated, shoed, shin guarded, ball in hand, and on time at the right location).

Suddenly, Shane lost all his "energy." His team played at one goal...,


..., and Shane hijacked a cone and kicked his ball across the field to another one.


I fought the urge to say or do anything. If Shane wanted attention, it would be better for him to get it appropriately by rejoining the team. Time slowed. It took about 10 minutes before Shane rejoined the pack.

That's when Coach Dave got Shane to pass the ball a few times....before Shane dropped to the ground and refused to get back up.


Shane's youth really showed. He missed the new age guideline for Hot Shots by less than a month. Most of the team was composed of kids from the elementary school we practiced at. Many were first graders.  I knew that going in, so I chose to have Shane follow his coaches. They knew him, he knew them and their kids, and I thought it would be nice to continue the relationships.

Shane continued to shoot himself in the foot, though. He refused to play blob tag with everyone else - his favorite game. He sat on the far side of the field alone until the last minutes. Then he slow walked across the field to sit next to me and complain.


At this point, I'm doing my very, very best to stay positive with my comments and not engage the pity party. I really, really want Shane to learn the value of a positive attitude. However, I want to hold him accountable, as well.

Shane complained he was too hot and had no energy and couldn't walk back to the car. I told him, "Our house is five to ten minutes away. If you want water, let's go get it." Shane's woes continued unabated. He didn't want to follow me back to the car. Then he didn't want to go the way I was going (he wanted to go a different way back to the car). When we got near a playground Shane said "Daddy! Can I play on the playground?"

"No, you said you were too tired and hot. Let's go get you some water."

That started the waterworks. Shane cried the whole way to the car. He often stopped and refused to move. "I'm a bad boy! This whole day is bad!"

"No, the end of soccer practice has been bad. You were great at the doctor's and got to play Angry Birds. The nurse said you were brave*. You said you had a good day at school.....this is only a few minutes of a long day."

That wasn't enough for a dramatic five year old. It got to the point I told Shane he had a choice: He could walk to the car with me or I'd pick him up and carry him....but I couldn't carry him and the soccer ball. It'd be lost and have a new home with whoever found it.

A wise choice was made. Shane collected and calmed himself right before we got in the car. Shane has to experience and be able to name and understand his emotions for when he's older, but it makes for some tiring moments now.

While all this was going on, Carrie went to commiserate with a friend after work. A horse they rescued died suddenly of a heart attack.

It was a long Monday!

It ended with "I love you's," hugs, prayers, and a bed time story. Shane and I are starting Prince Caspian.

*Note: Shane got a polio vaccine shot earlier and it went fantastic. I was a little worried about a shot hours before soccer, but things always seem to happen simultaneously.

1 comment:

  1. Dad and I love the way you see these trials at teachable moments for Shane. I think Shane is doing fine at soccer practice for his age. You do a good job of staying positive I think you did the right thing telling Shane that it's cheating to not stop on red, that's just giving correct information. You could play that game with him and mommy at home to remind him of the rules of the game and that you'd rather see him strong enough to obey the rules than win the game. You are an amazing dad and Shane is so blessed to have you. You do a great job teaching him how to act/think and don't just do what's easiest for you. I love the way that you and Carrie don't spoil him. Shane is an amazing kid. We love you and are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete