Monday, May 7, 2012

One Tough Baby

Shane's one tough baby. He came home from Nana's house with a cut on his nose today. He's had a few abrasions on his fingers, a skinned knee, and bruises on his shins as of late.

Why?

Two reasons: 1) He can get all sorts of places he shouldn't, and 2) the boy has no fear.

Actually, the whole no fear thing could be summed up as "no survival instinct." I like to think he has total faith in Mom and Dad's ability to protect him from serious harm every time he tries to run off a slide at full speed.

Honestly, my son is amazing. I know I'm biased, but it is true. When I had the tutor family watch him several weeks ago, they were shocked when Shane tried to scale a fence (successfully). At the playground, Shane can climb up ladders, steps, and even this one chain-link rope ladder. He scrambles up to high places that he has no way that he knows to get down (save running or diving off the edge and making Da-da catch him or stop him short).  On the home front, no table is safe. If there's a chair nearby, Shane can be on top of it in under 10 seconds. If there's no chair nearby, he's learned to push one over. He startled Carrie and I today by reaching up and dragging over the small table in our kitchen awning. The little Houdini has also learned how to undo the velcro ties that hold one of the baby gates shut.

My son is amazing. His full baby intellect is geared towards how to get places he really shouldn't be able to reach yet. People see him, and I think they misjudge his age because of his size and what he's physically capable of. My little monster dwarfs some two and three year olds on the playground. He's not capable of the speech and logic they are capable of yet, but the other parents do see that as much as they see me shadowing a rambunctious runner bigger than their own spawn. 

Shane is one busy boy! He's going to be a bruiser when he gets older unless I can train some empathy and "look out for the little guy" into him.

No comments:

Post a Comment