Saturday, October 7, 2017

U8 Game Four

The coaches were back. Just in time for picture day. I sat down with the parents and let the coaches runt wrangle. 


We're the smallest team I've seen to date. We had 7 players show up today. One field became a 4 on 4. The other, a 3 on 3. The Light Blues rotated their players while ours played throughout.


I recognized several of the boys and parents from Shane's TKD class. I said, "Hi" at the end. I wish I knew them better. They're all part of a big family, so they tend to stick together. The dad was the coach.

Shane mostly played well. Mostly.

Direct quote from Coach Brian, "Shane! No butterflies!" Shane wanted to punch Coach Jeanluc's hand instead of high-fiving all day and would lapse into periods of clearly being in his own world.

Exhibit A: Notice all the kids running after the ball?


Shane was making faces and pretending to be a ninja, pokemon, or I-Don't-Know-What.


There were bursts of improvement. The fact that Shane got distracted and picked dandelions to give to a mom on the other team don't cancel out that he stayed out on the field the whole time.

I don't know what was up with this look.


Shane did get mad and start yelling after one kid "slapped him in the face." I didn't see it, but I'm sure they were both going for the ball. Shane's dramatic. I wasn't worried he was going to retaliate other than yelling. Shane never advanced or swung, but he was clearly pissed and stomped and hollered. The other kid stood there from what I could see. It was the far other side of the field or I could have redirected.  The other kid's mom was right there. She looked concerned and told/shooed her kid to walk away. Later, I heard her telling someone how proud she was he walked away from "a tough situation" as we left. I can't say I'd call it that, but sports are a good opportunity for all kids to learn how to deal with emotions and tough moments. 

One more game down. I wish Shane would want to practice some with me outside of practice, but I haven't pushed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment