Sunday, October 29, 2017

A Poorly Handled Apology

Shane got himself deep in the doghouse today. Carrie was cooking, I was on the computer, and he yelled, "Help! Help! I'm trapped!"

Now, he didn't sound in pain or in a panic to me. I got up, but it wasn't a flat out rush.

Carrie went into full on Mommy Battle Mode. She dropped what she was doing and ran

I moved faster at that point. I tried to get in front of her and say, "I'm on it!" I wasn't quick enough and she tore up the stairs looking for Shane.

It turned out Shane was on the stairs. He watched us run by. He had zipped himself into a large plastic bag. 


Shane decided to speak again and say, "I'm on the stairs," when Carrie was already in his room looking for him. I unzipped him and he said, "Oops. I zipped myself in."

Carrie was furious.

Trapping himself aside, she was afraid/livid she might have stepped on him when she sprinted to the rescue.

And Shane couldn't apologize without smiling.

Shane ended up in his room.

Maybe he was remorseful. He didn't convey it. Maybe it was a nervous smile. He didn't hide it whenever he tried to apologize.

Shane's apology attempts only served to dig him deeper into trouble and it made for a rough morning. We went to church and back before Shane managed to make amends. Carrie eventually went up to him and they worked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment