Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Still Busy Mode (For a Day)

There was a note in Shane's backpack when I picked him up. He was up front with me. I told him I could respect that. I, also, told him we would come up with a plan to do better and there would be no electronics in the house until there was a good note home his teacher.


I did this all on the way to the dentist. 


It's like they knew Shane was on electronics restrictions, because all their TVs were down! The receptionist had a tablet for kids to play on while they waited, but I told them (and him) we'd pass.


Shane actually did an awesome job for who he is and no distractions. I coach him to interlace his fingers, cross his ankles, and squeeze/pressure to help him stay still.


Mostly worked. He's the kind of kid who tries to use his tongue to poke at the instruments. I can't do much for that!


The dentist checked him out. No cavities. They didn't say anything else of note to me. I tried to listen in on the shop talk, but it was fairly loud and they spoke too quietly.


We went to Costco next. It was on the way back into town. Instead of heading home, we went to Taekwando. Soccer starts Thursday, so I needed to find a different class to take Shane to.

I drove the groceries home after I got him changed and situated. Since Shane does day-care at times, I didn't mind leaving him for a little bit (Never again, by the way. Traffic was horrible getting home. I spent almost the whole class running back and forth).

Shane didn't look like he had the most successful class. He was rolling around again. I made some stern gestures and he stopped. Then he did it again and got a talking to from the teacher (who said, "This is the SECOND time I've talked to you...").

Shane was sheepish and better behaved after that. I got a great pic of all the kids trying to jump on Instructor Papa at the end.


I was a little cross with Shane when we got in the car. I figured he could have used TKD to show off how sorry he was about the note from school by being extra respectful. 

We ate dinner and wrote an apology afterward. 


If I could do it again, I would have made Shane write in pencil. He had to restart several times when he made grievous pen errors. I sat with him the whole time to help, reflect, and teach.

There was a little drawing in between, but that was basically the night. It was up to bed and read The Princess Bride. I want to see how Shane does tomorrow, but there's no way to know until then.

UPDATE: There was a happy note the next day. Shane turned it around. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment