Monday, January 18, 2021

Shane's Riding Again

Office hours ended Friday and I poked my head out to see where my family was it. They weren't in the house, so where were they?

They were in the ring!


Carrie gave Shane a riding lesson!


I've been trying to encourage her to ride more and then she had Shane out there, too? Golden!


I only caught part of it, but I saw progress. Carrie let Shane ride on his own without a lunge line or hovering near him. He's developing his seat. I could tell he was posting in rhythm with Maddy's gait as she trotted along.


And he smiled! A lot!

Carrie wants Shane to enjoy horses, but I'm on record as saying I don't think Shane will enjoy them on their own merits. Shane's passion is people. I think he will enjoy horses because of Carrie spending time and energy on him while they're both in the barn. 


So seeing them ride together is a good thing. Shane needs to get outside more. I want to sign up for baseball again, but he's resisting. If he says, "I'd rather ride" I will hold him to it!


They went off on a trail walk and I went inside to make lunch and take care of more work.


Monday, Anne came by. She's a nearby neighbor. We can see her house through leafless trees.


She came to give Shane a riding lesson on Maddy!


I'd hoped we'd go by her place and maybe meet her kids, but logistically her coming to us made more sense. 

I told Shane to "be on his best behavior and maybe she'll want to introduce you to her kids" (You can see where my focus was on the lesson!).


Horses are Carrie's world, so I let her take the reigns with everything. That left me to write down some interesting quotes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shane to Anne: I might have ginger-vitis! Shows his teeth.

Carrie: No, that's what your Mommy has.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anne to Shane while riding: Good boy!

Shane to Anne: She's a girl!

Anne: I was talking to you!

Shane: Oh.....Hey! Don't say good boy! I'm not a dog!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anne: Let's talk about your post.

Shane: Let's do it while I trot! (Which is where you post)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shane was a chatterbox. It's well-intentioned, but borderline disrespectful at times. He says whatever comes to mind...and throws in occasional sound effects, too!


Shane rarely rides, but his legs seem stronger than in our early attempts. Or maybe it's just he complains less now that he knows he can do it.


Shane may be gaining his seat, but his hands need work. I could spot that a mile away with my small knowledge of the subject. It something that should come with more experience.

Maddy was mostly a saint, but she took advantage of Shane a few times. She liked to shorten turns and make a beeline right for Anne (who had treats).

Shane: I'm going to let her do her thing for a while.

Anne: What's that?

Shane: To walk to you.

We weren't the only spectators. Carrie spotted one of the local hawks at the far end of the arena.


I'm surprised I got as close as I did. I could have got some great footage with a real camera.

I hope that the lessons continue. I'd love to do it at once a week to establish a routine, but Carrie and Anne will work it out. Shane and I are really hoping she brings her kids at some point, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment