Thursday, January 28, 2021

The Last of 'These' Posts

This is my last post about "Be aware of bias in where your get your information." I've done enough of them. I think it's important to point out, but I enjoy writing about other things much more. 

These following screen shots are taken the same day and within a minute of each other. I try to stay at the top of the page to show the headline and keep it consistent, but I did scroll down a little on a few if I felt there were back to back headlines at the top that made my point stronger.

CNN is very happy President Biden has been sworn in.


Fox news is not.


That's my impression, at least.

When I check the headlines at Fox, I feel like they're trying to say "Look how awful things are now."


And "Look at how crazy all these people are."


CNN tends to post things they feel are "Look how much better things are now."


With a dose of "Remember all those crazies? Look what's happening to them now!"



Again, note the timestamps. I try to peruse some news from each site since they both have so many 'exclusives.'


But I do weary of the obvious agendas.


I mainly check the news to make sure there's no immediate catastrophe bearing down on me and to stay abreast of any things that may bear down on my student's minds.


Not that many of my students read the news. They do see memes and repeat bad information sometimes, so I like to have at least an idea of what's out there. 


Personally, I like to scroll past the "agenda + clickbait" headlines and find the occasional gem.


It seems like my students get a lot more information off of social media. I'm friends with people across the political spectrums and I try not to click like on anything. I'm afraid if I do, Facebook will start editing what I see.


And I want to see what people say whether I agree with it or not.


I know where I stand on things. My own thoughts seem to follow me wherever I go. I find it helpful to see how others feel to have a better understanding of who's around me and how they view/process events. Sometimes I even learn a thing or two (...but most of what people post is what I'd call 'reactionary.').

Because of.....everything, I'm hesitant to accept 'news' I see on social media.


And don't get me started on comments on any widely shared public posts.


Even a simple meme can spout conspiracy theories.


Then there's an ensuing flame war.

Occasionally, someone who seems to have done their homework will reply with a well crafted response.


But the replies of everyone around that response illustrate that most people really aren't listening to anyone other than themselves. I've read responses that seem to agree end up 'yelling' at each other.

There are fun memes like this that I want to be 100% true...


But often the real world is more complicated. 

Star Trek got a shot-out for bringing attention to the issue in a fun way, but an article from NPR said that the humpback population had begun recovering when a international ban on commercial whaling took effect in 1966 (Star Trek IV came out in 1986). 

It feels like many people who shout into social media view "truth" as either A) what they want to be true is truth and anyone who disagrees 'the enemy' or B) truth is something relative and based on a person's feelings, thoughts, and preferences. 

Both sound exhausting. Either A) your 'truth' will keep being spoiled when the world reminds you you're not the center of things or B) everything constantly shifts around you and there's nothing solid to stand on.

I believe there is an absolute truth out there. I read my Bible to learn more about it and it gives me a solid foundation in these crazy times.

It takes effort, though. I feel like I've only scratched the surface and I still have questions. The Bible was written by many authors using different writing styles across many years in different cultures and languages. As a historical document, it's authenticity is unparalleled with more copies from more primary sources from closer in time to it's origins than The Iliad or other works of the 'ancient world.'

Maybe I'll take a class one day. For now, I just need to wrap up this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment