Sunday, December 5, 2010

Everything is going to change...

I'm not as nervous as I thought I'd be. It's not that I'm not nervous, it's just that I don't feel a crushing weight or anything like that. I suppose that's because largely I'm a spectator here. Carrie's the one feeling the pressure. My job is going to be moral support for Carrie and acting as calm and collected as possible for her sake.

We checked into the hospital just before 8 PM. Carrie dropped herself off at the emergency room (she wanted to drive) and then I drove off to hunt for parking. We signed in, and we've been parked in the room ever since. The hospital has done it's best to make what's clearly a hospital room look homier (if that's a word). There's cabinets, a rocking chair, and even a (fake?) wooden headboard attached to the hospital bed. If it wasn't for all of the high-tech monitoring equipment, baby care station, and hospital bed they may have even pulled it off. We've spent the last three hours talking to the nurse, setting up monitoring, medicine, and drawing blood (Carrie's least favorite part). The Ravens - Steelers game has been going on in the background since 8:45 or so. It's been a great time-killer, and I've been making sure to keep Carrie updated on her fantasy stats. Hopefully the sleeping pill will take effect soon for Carrie. It's after 11 PM now, and I think they said they were going to give us a 6 AM wake-up call.

I've spent a lot of this weekend thinking about how different life is going to become. There will be no more "give me five minutes to see if this game finishes" or "I'll just sleep in/roll over/hit the snooze button and get up later." The world is going to shift from Mike-time to baby-time. I got a sneak peek at what that feels like when I shifted to married-time, but baby-time is going to take things to a whole new level. I don't know what sort of sleep pattern Shane (and therefore Carrie and I) is going to have, so I don't know how many extended activities will be possible. While folding and putting away baby clothes today, I decided that I should try and write a journal of every day. Nothing big, but maybe just something I can show to Shane later or to keep people informed. I don't want anyone to feel left out. There's just so many people to call, and supporting Carrie takes up most of my time. I'm writing this in the dark as she's trying to sleep. It's too dark to read any of the parenting books I brought with me (last minute cramming), so I think I'm going to try and get some sleep for tomorrow. After all, who knows when I'll get another chance for six glorious hours of uninterrupted sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment