Wednesday, December 8, 2010

First feeding!

Shane had his first successful breastfeeding attempt early this morning! 4 AM and all was well. It doesn't seem like such a complicated process, but there's much more of an art about getting those first latches than you would initially think. It was great. He's healthy, mom is getting healthier, I couldn't be happier (unless it all went much faster! That's life, though).  I need to add Kim's name to the list of exceptional nurses we've had. She was a huge help in showing us up from down.

Today is hopefully going to be a day full of learning for us. Shane came back in the room around 9:30 and had another feeding with Carrie. He slept on her chest afterwords for over an hours before we heard a loud PFFTTT! "He pooped!" You know what poop means? Dad gets to go to work! I took him from mom, and she helped me clean his bum. I was quick enough not to let him pee in my face (always a danger with boys). I got to practice my swaddling technique afterwards. I'll need to be a little quicker in the future. Shane's little dagger-like fingernails let him scratch himself a little. Didn't really brake the skin, but it's something I'll need to watch for.

Overall, I'm thrilled to be a dad. I'm not hyper-excited scared like I thought I'd be, but pretty evenly happy and pleased. I think that maybe it's to even out Carrie a little bit. She's very worried and anxious, but she's been doing a great job and I'm sure it'll be less scary with practice. Shane? He's doing great. He's stronger than I expected and can really wriggle around when you don't want him too. It's still too early to see what color eyes he's going to have, but my fingers are crossed that he gets mine. I love Carrie's eyes, but riddle me vain, I want to see something more than a chin that I know he definitely got from me. Well, I guess he got my blood type too, because he's not the same as Carrie. It's been a while since I've donated blood, so I don't remember what my bloodtype actuall is, but I'm still going to claim responsibility for those genes. The cute part can't be from me. I was an ugly baby. Even my mom says so and she's partial to me.

Quick update while Carrie was in the shower and Shane was sleeping. more to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment