Monday, October 7, 2013

Naughty Notes

There was another incident report in Shane's cubby at school today.

He and a 'friend' argued over a truck. Shane then threw the truck and clocked his friend in the head.

Last Thursday, Georgeanne left a note saying that teachers reported Shane was throwing and pushing. He also wasn't listening to directions. He would run around and no heed calls to stop and kept taking his shoes off. At one point, he ditched his diaper, pulled up his pants, and ran outside a secret commando.

The secret only lasted until he hosed himself down. 

I swear my kid can play nice. I have proof!


Naughty notes from teachers suck. This was an empathy building moment for me. I'll remember it the next time I have to write home about a student.

Shane's definitely been acting out more at school lately. I've noticed the afternoon teachers are different and with the new crop of kids he's picked up some behaviors, too. 

Or it could just be Shane's fault. Kids test boundaries. Schools have lots of boundaries and he's got the energy to test them all!

Sometimes, Shane will "experimentally" throw stuff or try to whack me when he's mad at home. He'll look me in the eye to gauge my reaction as he does it. Often, he'll end up in time out and doesn't repeat the behavior, but I don't think they do that at school. Maybe he thinks he's getting away with something.

As for the running away, that's a behavior I see at home all too often. When Shane gets sad, upset, mad, happy, excited, hyper, or whatever the reason he does not stop when he's at a run. If we're outside, I have to sprint after him or he'll dash further and further away. He'll cry when I pick him up and take him back inside, but then he'll dash off again the first time a bug catches his eye or the whim strikes him. 

The only thing that will sometimes work is to yell "Red Light!" If Shane decides that sounds like a fun game to play he'll stop for 2 to 3 seconds. I have managed to teach Shane not to go into the street without me. It's not something I really want to test along a busy road (or anywhere else a car may be), but it shows Shane can learn when he wants to! 

Listening, discipline....the fun parts of parenting. Many of us are still working on our own listening skills and self-discpline the rest of our lives, but it starts young!

My plan is to teach Shane "Simon Says" to practice listening and following instructions. If only I could get him to stay in one room long enough to play....

PS - Just about every parent I've told "Shane clocked another kid with a truck at school" says "That's about normal!" I laugh and imagine I survived long enough to earn my "Naughty Note" parenting badge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment