Thursday, October 17, 2013

Making Music

My work friend, Matt, talked me into running a guitar club with him this year.

The logic behind it was infallible:

1) We both want to learn more.
2) We would get paid.
3) We stay after school anyway. Why not do something that benefits kids and fulfills options 1 and 2?

So now I'm in charge of a club after school, doing something I wish I had time for, and getting a couple of extra bucks a week. I'm not a guitar pro by any measure, but I know enough to be dangerous and maybe get a few kids who are interested in learning started. I also know enough lingo I can talk to the kids who really know their stuff.

We had 13 kids show up today. There's the band that practices in the hallway who brings their own amps, equipment, and even video-camera to the kids I'm trying to teach to tune and hold a guitar. There's a couple of kids in the middle group who come to watch YouTube lessons, talk, and hangout.

Matt's brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment