Saturday, October 26, 2013

Always Check for Smudges

It seemed like a great idea.

One of the science teachers at my school has a pumpkin decorating contest every year. Students bring in their 'canvas,' work their creative magic, and then fill the locker pod. Staff can vote on their favorites for the rest of the week. On Friday, students can take their pumpkins home or opt to leave them for staff.

I grabbed a 'Minion' one. 





There is a little resemblance.

Unfortunately, the one I took home had some weird type of paint on it. It rubbed right off on my clothes.


It got on the car seat, my work bag, my pants, and my leather jacket. I didn't realize it until I was talking to Carrie on the way home. She got to hear my dawning "Oh, Crap!" of comprehension.


Hopefully, it will come out. I'm sure the khaki's didn't cost more the $20 brand new, but they were a newer work pair.

Unfortunate, a little annoying, but not the end of the world. There's still food on the table and the sun will rise tomorrow.

Here's the funny part.

Once I realized the paint on my pants was still tacky, I swapped them out for some Cookie Monster pajama bottoms. They're super comfy. Cookie Monster used to be awesome before they tried to vegify him, too (or whatever that "Cookies are a sometimes food" junk means!).

Pop-Pop, Nana, and Jama were on their way to visit when Carrie asked, "Mike, can you and Shane go get some ice cream?"

"Sure. Can you watch Shane for a second, so I can go change?" I asked.

"Just go in those."

So I did.


One of the best things about being married: I don't have to impress anyone with my sense of style. I think there's even a rule in the "Father's Handbook" that all dad's have to wear cut-off jean shorts, old holey t-shirts, or some other type of clothes that will embarrass their children at some point. I'm just getting an early start.

Nana was horrified when I came back. "You wore THAT?!?!"

I was a big hit at Harris Teeter, though. It caused me to be late getting home!

One of the reason I like certain grocery stores is they purposely hire people with special needs. In addition to our Harris Teeter being kind to Shane and having good prices, I've noticed/talked to several employees that set off my SPED-dar.

When Shane and I were leaving, an employee noticed my pajama bottoms and he was ecstatic. He started up the most intense/enthusiastic Sesame Street conversation I've had in decades. I would have tried to talk to him longer, but Shane was strapped into his car seat, I was running late, and I was in over my head! He started mentioned characters I'd never heard of!

So there you have it. I rocked Cookie Monster pajamas, got the ice cream, embarrassed Nana (temporarily -- she's never like that for long), spent time with family and was extraordinarily comfy throughout (with my wife's blessings nonetheless!).

It was a night of good cooking and quality family time.

That's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment