Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Clever Boy

Have I mentioned how clever my boy is? I'm not speaking as only a proud parent: I have evidence.


Shane wanted to play with scissors. However, Daddy had stuck the scissors up in the window sill to prevent little boys from cutting little fingers when Daddy wasn't paying attention.

That wasn't about to stop Shane.

I watched him as he pulled over a chair and climbed up. He couldn't reach.

Shane pulled over another chair and tried to stand on that one. He still couldn't reach.

Next, Shane unbuttoned a seat cushion. He stacked it on a chair and tried to climb up. The scissors continued to elude him.

Shane struggled to unbutton another seat cushion. There were some frustrated tears, but I didn't stop him or offer help. I sensed learning was afoot.

The third cushion came off and Shane stacked it with the others. Now he had a new problem: he couldn't climb up! His booster seat was too tall.

Eventually, the light bulb went off. Shane pushed over another chair to climb up on his pile of cushions. He had fingertips on the window sill when he started to fall.

Luckily, I was there all along. I caught him and gave him the scissors, so we could cut some paper.

However annoying the lesson learned may later be, I'm proud of my son for using his noggin to solve a problem. I'll have to hide the scissors better from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment