Monday, December 1, 2014

Train Day


I decided to try something new with a review unit. I brought Shane's train tracks to school. Students had to try to construct tracks and use a "rule" to score their track.

Goals:
1. Students would realize variables can be real world objects & practical (not worksheet fodder alone)
2. Students would practice substituting values in for variables and then simplify expressions
3. Students would have to think, cooperate, and have fun.

It was a mixed bag, but it was mostly fun. I was thrilled it was something different especially compared to the first half of class. I had to remind, re-teach, and pester the kids into re-learning how to type in a square root sign in the calculator. Then we had to drill because next to no one listened or pushed any buttons. And then all of the kids I walked over to asked me to repeat what I'd just said and still had projected. If someone discovered a liquid form of "Giving-a-damn" I'd be on the pre-order list.

No comments:

Post a Comment