Friday, December 26, 2014

Winter Break: Grandma and Grandpa's House Day 1 and 2

Christmas Day meant Christmas Road Trip! There was NO traffic on I-95. Carrie stopped and got us Wawa, too. Merry Christmas, indeed! Driving on Christmas Day should become the new tradition if we don't move.

If Shane was happy to see his Grandpa and Grandma, he was extra happy to see their new playroom for grandkids.


Grandpa converted his old office from his Granger days into a toy wonderland.


Shane will be spending the next several days sleeping on an air mattress surrounding by 95% of the toys in the house. I don't anticipate any complaints.


After some play, we went downstairs to open presents.

I could have killed Shane.

He opened his first present, looked at it, and said "I don't want this."


Grandpa and Grandma bought him a set of Cars bath toys. However, they bought two sets. One for their house and one for ours. Shane saw the set upstairs and he pouted hardcore. He acted like someone had smashed every gift under the tree.

I was ready to pull the plug on the presents operation until Shane apologized. From the look on Carrie's face, she agreed.

Grandma, however, wanted to talk to him a second and then continue.


It's her house, so we went with her rules. Shane perked up a little when he saw there were more presents. Some of which weren't clothes!


The minion backpack was probably his (and my) favorite.


It was a lot of fun once we got going.

I haven't forgotten Shane's complete lack of gratitude. Selfishness is natural. Any other behavior has to be learned or grown within. I talked to Shane about what we should do when someone gives us a gift, but he's only four. Who knows how much that'll stick.

For now, I'm concentrating on trying to be a good example myself.

Like by building Lego garbage trucks.


After Shane's nap Day 2 here he 'helped' me to convert his flying garbage cruncher into a standard garbage truck.


He's played with that thing all day long. I think it's officially his favorite gift.

And what trip to Grandma and Grandpa's is complete without a visit to Grandpa's train room?


There's a lot of works in progress, but it's still a very impressive layout.


One day, it'd be great if Shane and I helped out. I think Grandpa would be all for it; Shane just needs to put on some years. 

That sums up our first pair of days with Carrie's folks. It's been fun and we'lll be here for a while yet! Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment