Monday, June 15, 2015

Shane's Friend

Raheem knocked on the door three times Saturday. The first time, Shane was in the bath (pre-nap). The second, it was nap time. The third, Shane was still asleep, but I let him come in anyway. 

They measured the house together.


Shane's had a ton of fun with measuring tape over the years. I'm glad he found another person to share the joy.

The boys played with Nana's spin art later.


A couple of weeks ago, our neighbor told us to be careful with any kids who wandered in from too far. She said she had her iPhone stolen. It was wiped and sold in the mobile home park for $10. I don't know how she found out and got it back.

The seed of suspicion was placed in my mind. I noticed Raheem had something in his pocket while the boys were playing. When I asked what it was, he told me a car. However, he didn't bring it out whenever the boys played with cars. The shape didn't look like a car, either. When it didn't sound like a car when he ran around I asked to see it. Raheem didn't want to at first, but then produced a small box of matches.

Relief washed over me. None of our toys are expensive, but I would have wanted to address the behavior. I don't know anything about Raheem's parents and/or their parenting styles yet. All I know is he wanders up the street to play. He's also older than Shane and I've only just figured out four-year olds (at a C+ level). I wished I hadn't been suspicious, as well.

I thanked Raheem for showing me and the boys went back to playing.

Later, I thought "Wait, matches!? A 7-year old with a box of matches?" I know the sort of trouble my friends and I would have gotten into. Igor once put gasoline in a super-soaker.

I'll tell Raheem not to bring them in my house the next time he knocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment