Friday, June 24, 2016

Friday Fun and Musings

I noticed another irony in my life. Friday morning, Shane wanted nothing more than to sit and home and watch TV or play a video game. Instead, I took him to the discovery museum. I was the one who pulled out a phone.


I wasn't the only one either. Except maybe for this guy:


Sweet castle.

At least Shane wasn't on electronics! I feel like I'm at a fine line in his life where I want to be involved, but I want him to develop independence. I play some, but other times I step back and let him do what he's going to do. Then I get involved when I feel like I've been aloof long enough. Or maybe I played long enough and he needs to be on his own others?

It's a puzzle. He seems fine no matter what I do, though. Shane was really into several activities. He hummed, sang, and his eyes were glued on whatever it was he was doing. Brain cogs were turning.


Then I had a second revelation: I was the only dad in the place. Seventeen women and a swarm of kids surrounded me. I'd seen one other dad earlier (The castle architect), but he was gone. He had arrived with is wife, too. I counted six or seven other dads/grandpas over the next hour and a half. Four came with ladies. The rest flew solo like me.


Shane played on, blissfully unaware of my musings. I caught up on the Brexit (=Britain + exit from EU).

When Shane got tired of cars, I taught him checkers. He quit at "King me."


No, I don't play cut-throat vs my kid. There are some disadvantages to humming, making airplane noises, and having your pieces blast off into space.

I told Shane, "You will probably lose the first game you play of anything. That's ok! Play to learn and for fun! Try things to see what happens."

Shane listened to the last part. He decided to see what would happen if he got up and played with a toy hen.

Verdict: I grabbed a toy rooster and chased him. End of checkers.


After 3 months, Bard slew Smaug with the "Arrow! Black arrow! I have saved you to the last!" We celebrated. The Lego Hobbit video game was on sale for $5.


Shane was mesmerized. 


We played before quiet time and then he begged and pleaded the rest of the night. I told him not until Mommy came home.

Shane must have asked a hundred more times.

My answer did not change.  


We kept busy, though.


Mommy ran late. Shane and I went outside and played with Henry to while away the final evening minutes.

Henry wanted me to follow him.


Shane wanted Will to follow him.


There was much rejoicing when Carrie did arrive (If I had heard "When is Mommy coming home?" one more time..).

The days are full. I should switch back to topics than day recaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment