Sunday, March 18, 2012

An Evolving House

I remember the first time I walked into my house.

Carrie was beside me holding my arm. Our agent opened the front door and excited nails dug into my biceps. "Hardwood floors! Honey, they have hardwood floors!" came the breathless whisper beside me.

My wife was giddy.

Oh, and there was the single most foul-smelling refrigerator in the world in the basement. It was full of fish, kimchi, and who knows what else?

The outside of our house looks similar to then, but a great number of things have changed. We moved in, made the house ours, and then found out baby Shane was on his way. From that point forward, our home has been continuously changing and evolving. First, we had to make room for Shane. When he got here, we had to adjust for all of our ideas that didn't work as planned. Now, he's growing like a weed and things that were once inaccessible are no longer such.

Sometimes, it feels like we're in a race to stay at least one step ahead of the guy. We'll get a comfortable lead for a while and then one day he'll be pulling himself up somewhere he shouldn't be able to reach. That sends us back to the drawing board! If you are a parent, you know what I'm talking about (or you'll find out soon enough!).

Parenting feels like an ever-changing game for me. Just when you think you've figured out all the rules, something is changing! You'll never get it 100% and the only option is for you to keep adapting and learning as you go. I guess it's not surprise that my living space reflects this!

I'm going to be sorting through old photos and occasionally making a post in this 'new series.' I'll be posting them under the label 'House.'

No comments:

Post a Comment