Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fun Day Today!

I got to chase down a student how ran out of my classroom!



It's a very special student who's off of his meds this week as the doctor tinkers with whatever pharmaceutical concoction keeps him from....well, running out of classrooms and sane. He's been up and down all this week including breaking down in tears about a fish that passed away. It's been a roller-coaster ride of emotions and constant singing and noise. I've had to pull out and talk to several other kids in my class, because they're ready to kill the poor guy.

However, as a special educator, I'm used to being flexible. I decided to let my other students use headphones while they were doing independent work to help tune out the constant chatter. Why didn't I do this before? Most students were more productive, and I even had less snarkiness from my discipline issues.

Of course, once my special friend figured out that everyone put on headphones so they could do their work and tune out his singing and talking he freaked out. I had been trying to work with him on his History homework when the realization hit him. The next thing I know, he dropped what he was doing and bolted. Thankfully, he's a small guy and I got out right behind him and managed to loop around in front.

A teacher CAN NOT tackle a student. Especially one with health issues. If I want to avoid any chance of a lawsuit, I cannot grab or be very physical at all. Instead, I hopped in front of him, and stood there with my arms out. He pushed against me, but I'm probably at least twice his body mass. I gave ground slowly and guided him towards a wall so that he couldn't turn around and bolt the other direction.

What happened next?

I lied.

I told him that the other kids had earned the 'privilege' to have their headphones on. He bought it and I was able to talk him down and get him back in class.

The headphones worked another miracle, because the other kids had not even noticed what happened. Either that, or they thought I had taken the student outside to talk to him. I put the kid on the computer and he was immediately reengaged. In some ways, that was like giving him what he wanted, but I'm flying solo in that room and have no support. I needed him in the classroom and not tearing down the halls.

That was a fun phone call home later. It's all in the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment