Friday, March 2, 2012

Score another one for Nana

I did a tribute to her last week, but Nana came to the rescue again today.

Carrie was sick and dehydrated this morning and said she couldn't handle Shane today. This happened at seven in the morning. I felt like I had to go in to work today for many reasons (including interims and fearing what would happen if whatever sub showed up was left with my runaway student for two hours on their own).

The solution? I called Nana.

I was a little late to work, but I don't have a morning class and nobody noticed. (I did email at 7 to let my AP know, and I even had to do a walk of shame by the front office and the principal's window when the card reader was magically broke at the entrance closer to my class.)

Carrie got to go to the doctor without a baby in tow. It turned out she was not only dehydrated, but sick as well. She was put on bed rest for the day.

Shane got to go to baby heaven. We have cats, but Nana has a dog and we all know how much cooler dogs are than cats! Plus, I think the boy adores having room to run all over without any baby gates or pesky stairs to slow him down. Each room has a different set of toys too! My son was incredibly disheartened to see me after work. I walked through the door and he started to throw his head and tantrum. How's that for a "make your father feel welcomed" greeting? It made me feel a bit like a boot heel, but if Shane ever has kids it'll be my turn to be the spoiling grandparent. Maybe I'll even have convinced Carrie to let me get a dog by then! Shane eventually perked up when he realized I wasn't going to take him from Nana's right away. He really loves it there.

Thanks, Nana! You saved me from having to use sick leave at a crucial time.

No comments:

Post a Comment