Saturday, July 7, 2012

Surprise!

My wife's done it again.

Today started off as a Saturday. A day of rest, right? It ended up being over 100 degrees and I mowed the back lawn and then drove an hour to help a friend move into a third floor apartment with no elevator and many, many stairs. In my rush to make the schedule work, I did not drink the appropriate amount of morning caffeine to sustain my addiction. The constant sweating probably accelerated the withdrawal symptoms.

On my way back from helping my friend move, I was exhausted and tried calling Carrie to see if she could pick up Shane from my parents (who so graciously watched him so that I could help my friend move). I called multiple times (because I was that thoroughly soaked in sweat), but Carrie didn't pick up her phone. I couldn't risk Shane overstaying his welcome, so I scooted over to get him from my parents. He threw a fit when he saw me, as usual (keep this in mind...it may be important later). My head started to throb from exhaustion, caffeine, or some unholy combination of the two when I finally heard from Carrie.

To make a long story short, someone had a sudden need for a talented trainer to show off horse for a sale and they called my wife. It was a two-hour drive away, but she jumped at the chance. Our phone conversation was "I can't talk, I have to ride a horse to sell. Love you! Bye!" I was dying for a break, but it sounded like a good opportunity for Carrie. I didn't mention I felt like crap, brought Shane home, and watched him in a half-daze until 6:30 PM.

That was my state of health and sanity when Carrie first arrived. I was eager to pawn the boy off, so that I could change out of my still damp with sweat clothes (truly) and shower. Instead, she wanted me to bring the boy outside so she could show him a surprise. I like to think God built me with a lot of patience/endurance so I groaned and went with the flow. I spotted a yard tool I'd left out this morning and it was vexing me anyway. While Carrie was putting on Shane's shoes, I picked up the tool and went to put it in the garage.

Surprise! A dog was in my backyard.


The puppy is a Golden Retriever mother crossed with a Burmese Mountain Dog father. He's four-months old. Shane loves him. The dog is extremely docile. He lets Shane sit on him and try to ride him like a horse. Shane is not docile when Dada worries about the boy squishing the puppy and forces him to not ride said dog like a horse.

The story goes while at the barn Carrie saw this little guy being extremely docile amidst a two-year old manhandling him playfully. The owner of the horse offered Carrie close to a 60% discount since she helped secure a sale, and BAM! Instant dog-ownership. I'm amazed my wife had a checkbook on her. Carrie had been researching dogs early in the week and we'd both looked up Burmese Mountain Dogs. We read some facts Carrie was a fan of. All these happy coincidences coincided and my wife said something like "Who am I to overlook all these hints. It was meant to be!"

Apparently, Carrie didn't remember how the first episode of surprise pet worked out. Dogs are way better than cats, and this is a nice one. I did want a dog at some point, but I told Carrie it would be years down the road. I wanted an older boy, and her to not be working to be able to give the dog proper care. I'm still not sure how annoyed I should or should not be about this situation.  

I'll figure it out tomorrow....along with an official name for the fella. It's looking like Flynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment