Monday, December 10, 2012

Vocabulary Update

Shane's vocabulary has grown leaps and bounds again. He can recite the alphabet up to around M and can mostly count to 12. There are gaps and he can't pronounce many things, but the boy is trying! Shane can also recognize nearly every engine on the island of Sodor!

One of the speech therapists early suggestions to Carrie was to make a list of all the words Shane says. I think the therapist was envisioning a small list, but my wife took the idea and ran with it.


First, our entryway blackboard was re-tasked.


When the list grew too long, Carrie experimented with a white board but the boy's vocabulary kept growing.

My wife ended up making a word wall.


What can I say? Shane doesn't shut up nowadays. It's certainly progress from my old blog posts concerned about his lack of speaking! Now, my son will chant "iPad! iPad! iPad!" unceasingly. When that doesn't work, he'll switch to "iPad PLEASE!" 

That much hasn't changed at least: the boy lets you know EXACTLY what he wants! ha ha..

Recently, Carrie added a picture alphabet page to a different wall to further grow Shane's vocabulary.


I'm very proud of my wife. This is not something I would have done on my own initiative and I think that there is a lot of value to it. My wife has quickly become one of the speech therapists favorite customers. 

I, on the other hand, have yet to meet the therapist. She visits when I'm at work. I know her name is Georgeanne. That's it.

I'm really helpful, aren't I?

Oh wait....I have made some additions to the wall. There's one I'm particularly proud of.


Do you see what's with all of the other objects that start with 'B?' I can't draw, but I can wipe baby noses like a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment