Thursday, December 13, 2012

Flashing Lights

On my way home, I saw a fire truck rumble it's way through traffic.

At the light to make the left turn off the highway, an ambulance forced it's way through traffic and turned in front of me.

My first thought: "Please God, don't let that be going to my house."

My second thought: "That first thought was self-serving. Whoever's house that's going to isn't going to be happy."

My third thought: "Please God, watch over whoever is hurt and guide the emergency personnel.

I saw both the fire truck and the ambulance again a couple of minutes later.

They were parked in front of my driveway.

Red lights flashed and flickered. The sun had set, but the emergency lights lit the street an eerie red. I thought my driveway was blocked, so I pulled over on the side of the street. I could see Carrie standing with Shane in our neighbor's yard.

I jumped out of the car to find a very excited boy. "Dada see fire truck!!??"

It turns out the ambulance was for my neighbor. We share a driveway.

Carrie, Shane and I stood outside to see what had happened and to offer our neighbor any help she needed. Another neighbor who knew her better went inside briefly. Details are scarce, but it sounds like our neighbor suddenly felt dizzy and fell. It looked like her arm was wrapped up, so she probably hurt herself in the fall.

I feel a little guilty about my first thought, but I am relieved that the ambulance wasn't for Shane  again.

In other news, my family arrived safely in Nebraska. I tasked Jama with trying Runza and Valentino's Pizza while she was there. When in Nebraska, eat junk food as Nebraskans do!

No comments:

Post a Comment