Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Shane's Room Upgrade

A while back I complained about Shane's ability to vault out of his crib. I think most parents will agree: problems with children sleeping are some of the most frustratingly common situations in parenting. I try to avoid foul language as a rule, but Nana wouldn't want to hear some of the things I mutter if a nap time goes to pot.

The situation was swiftly resolved.



Climbing out of a crib is no mean feat. The problem was that once Shane was out, he couldn't get back in (assuming he didn't hurt himself on the fall.....but the boy is made of rubber).  I moved all of the large furniture out of the room, and then my wife removed a crib rail and redecorated. I'm particularly fond of the 3D coming off the wall effect Carrie did with the pterodactyl in the corner!



Shane was a little surprised at first, but he adjusted quickly. He still protests whenever I shut the door, but he normally falls asleep swiftly. He's also fond of gathering his stuffed animals and blankets onto the bed. 

The first night Shane got out of bed, grabbed Lightning McQueen and Perry, and took them back to the mattress with him. 

Carrie's heart melted.

You would think with the crib rail removed, Shane would move around the room more at night and in the morning. He sticks to his bed, though. I guess the crib rail blocking his escape offended him ("THIS MUST BE CLIMBED!"). Shane used to love rolling around on the foam bed topper for fun, but now that it's next to his mattress he's lost all interest.

All's well that ends well!

No comments:

Post a Comment