Sunday, March 13, 2016

"Ah, the Great Outdoors!"

I read somewhere that the average American kid only plays outside for 7 minutes a day. It was probably from one of those "Tell you what you want to hear" Facebook type articles that no one ever double checks because it's what they want to hear, but still...it rings true to my experience. In NOVA, I had students who didn't know the names of streets in their neighborhood (or even their own). 

Not Shane!  


I think it's important to establish a 'porch presence.' If we're never outside, we'll be inside all day. That's no way to meet neighbors, get fresh air, or have an adventure!

Shane and I dodged dog poop to collect dandelion for Mommy, Sunday. We put them in a toy dumpster.


The bean suitcase came out to play, as well.


Which became an impromptu bean planting lesson/ceremony when Carrie came out.


We'll see if they grow!


Charlie and her parents came out later. Matt and I drew a basketball court with chalk. He killed me in a game of PIG. Shane wanted to have a picnic and ate crackers in the grass. Charlie brought graham crackers.

We still don't know many of our neighbors who don't have kids, but they've certainly seen us around!

No comments:

Post a Comment