Friday, March 25, 2016

Adult Decisions

Shane threw up shortly before midnight. Round two was at 3:30 AM. However, the little tyke still came bouncing into our room at 7 AM. "I'm awake!"

If the kid was sick, I expected him to at least act like it.

This left Carrie and I with decision to make. Did Shane eat something weird? Was the throw up a cough gone wrong? Was he sick? 

Should he go to school?

I would have used sick leave, but I knew two other teachers were already out. We're a small program with four full time teachers. One teacher found a sub for a half-day, and the other put it for one with no guarantee. I had to go in for at least the morning.

Carrie's work started later. We decided that we would play "hot potato." She'd take the morning, and I'd grab the afternoon. I went in and talked to my boss. She understood.

Meanwhile, Shane bounced happy-go-lucky. Carrie gave him an ibuprofen and sent him to school.

I was worried, but this is what I found after school...


...a happy bunny. Carrie had asked the teacher to keep an eye on Shane. She reported he napped an hour, ate with a normal appetite, and dyed Easter eggs. Shane showed me some of his artwork on the way out.


I guess it was a fluke? It's hard to tell these things without hindsight. Shane had more energy than me when we got home. He wanted to play our new Ticket to Ride Europe map.


Shane linked St. Petersburg to France. I wanted to nap on the couch. Shane went back to sleep better than Carrie and I combined (the nap didn't hurt either).

Looks like things worked out. Shane would have been sad to miss out on the Easter festivities. I'm not as good at remembering to do special activities and crafts for holidays as Nana was.

No comments:

Post a Comment