Friday, February 3, 2012

Pukerrella and the Puked on Father

Shane's had a low grade fever most of today. He's definitely sounded congested and his coughs have that wet, phlegmy qaulity that everyone oh so loves to hear. Other than that he seems pretty happy. I think he's content to lick the snot from his constantly running nose and keep on playing. Carrie and I are so blessed that our boy has such a positive and happy attitude. I hope that prevails through the teen years.

Carrie's Mom drove up to spend some quality time here while I was at work. After I got home, I took over the boy duty and Carrie and Grandma went out to pick up a new humidifier, children's Tylenol and a few other essentials (including some Super Bowl beer for me. Thanks Grandma!). Shane and I spent most of the evening together, and I dragged his bleary-eyed butt up to bed at 8. Things were progressing well until the cat jumped onto the glider as Shane was chugging his bedtime meal.

Rule #1: No cats are supposed to be locked into Shane's room. I don't want to scrape up cat poop after they realize there's no litter box around.

Rule #2: Don't distract the boy when he's drifting off to sleep.

Of course, cats have little use for rules they don't make up. I put the boy in his bed, and tried to shoe Max out from underneath the crib before Shane woke back up. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Shane stood up in his bed when he realized I hadn't left the room yet. He started to cry, so I picked him up and tried to let him drift off on my chest again. Carrie came up to see if I needed anything. That was Shane's cue. He puked the entire contents of his bottle all over me. It soaked through my clothes. Running through a sprinkler would not have drenched me as well as the boy did.

A bath and an hour later, he's in bed and there's no problems so far. He woke up a couple of times last night, but my fingers are crossed and my heart is praying that he'll sleep well tonight. Carrie is already up in bed herself. She was having stomach cramping and pain, and has been avoiding standing up straight ever since her mom left.  You'd think I'd be more stressed about everything, but it's amazing what parenting can do to accustom you to constant stress.



On a work note, I had my midyear conference Thursday. According to my AP, my teaching has been "a night and day difference" and she thought that I was just preoccupied with everything last year. I smiled and nodded and didn't say anything.  I thought it was hilarious when she was so impressed with some of my PowerPoints and lessons earlier in the year. I decided not to tell her I made and used them the year before. Most of my plans are tweaked versions of things I've run before. I talked to my IA from last year and asked if she thought my teaching had changed dramatically this year, and she got a good laugh out of it.

This year, my boss has been more positive towards me. I think she's a good person. She's done some impressive and incredibly kind things in her personal life. I don't hate her or wish her any ill will. My main beef with her is that A) she assumed her friend is an incredibly skilled teacher and B) she based her entire opinion of me off one sleep deprived day where I was dealing with a crying baby and a depressed wife and decided to push my lesson plans back a day since it was a delayed opening. Other than that, I almost never saw her in the building. If you're going to evaluate me, at least show up to form an opinion! My boss' friend is a nice person as well, but from all the drama that's happened upstairs when she took over for another teacher the general opinion I hear is that "she can't teach her way out of a paper bag." I've never worked with her myself since she covered for me while I was out, but it did feel like coming back to kids who were three months behind schedule and I'd only been out for two.

I'm glad they're good people though, because it makes it harder for me to complain and I know that if my students' parents keep saying nice things about me she will be open-minded on my final evaluation.  I just want to get the evaluation done with and move on.

I may not be typing much this week as I struggle to compile some sort of portfolio for my interview on Friday.  I already got my leave approved, but I don't have much to show yet. I should be working on it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment