Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What a wake up...

Last night ended around 11 for me. After putting Shane down, I worked on my portfolio some. Then this morning started around midnight. Carrie woke and shook me awake.  She told me she needed me to stay home from work tomorrow. She was sick, tired, hurt, and didn't think she could handle it. I murmured a "we'll talk about it in the morning" and went back to sleep.

This morning, we woke up at 6 AM. I took a quick shower and then went to feed an awakened baby. Both of Shane's nostrils were plugged shut with snot. I could not see into them. He attacked his bottle hungrily, but had to continuously stop sucking for breathing breaks. Carrie came in after her shower and took Shane's temperature.

Here's where things got a little out of hand.


The thermometer read 102.7 F. Carrie panicked. She's been on edge and scared ever since Thursday and her boy having a fever for four days. When she saw the fever had increased, she couldn't take it. Carrie wanted to take Shane straight to the ER and have someone look at him. I asked her to bring up the acetaminophen before we did anything. Carrie raced downstairs and came back up in a heartbeat.

Shane hates anything being shoved around his mouth and nose. The boy vehemently objects to nose wipes and tooth checks. A baby syringe full of medicine tops his hate list. My boy was thrashing so much that he puked up his breakfast after I gave him 0.5 ml. More Mommy panic ensued. We stripped the boy and I told Carrie to go call the doctor. While she was gone, I was able to force feed the rest of the dose to Shane. Let me tell you, the boy had plenty of fight in him.

I'm not going to go into all of the details here, but basically Carrie wanted to go straight to the hospital and I wanted to calm down and hear from the doctor. Carrie was running scared, and I was trying to entertain the baby and stall as peaceably as I could. It wasn't fun. The doctor did call before Carrie managed to drag Shane and I out the door and told us NOT to go to the hospital. Instead, we were to wait until our 8:45 appointment with them. Shane's fever had fallen to 101.5 by this point and he sucked down another bottle to replace the one he'd puked up calmed the boy.

From there, I had to go in to work to get all of my sub plans and classroom together. My plan had been to take Wednesday off to watch Shane, so I'd spent Monday afternoon working on special ed paperwork instead of cleaning up and planning for instruction. By the time I got back home, Carrie had calmed down and had Shane sleeping on her lap. We went to the doctor's office and found out two things: 1) our boys lungs sounded better and 2) the snot backlog had given him an ear infection. There was no emergency. If anything, Shane is going to be uncomfortable, but he doesn't sound like he's in danger of developing pneumonia if his lungs cleared up from the nebulizer. I was thrilled to see him fully drink a bottle without breaking, because his nose had cleared up enough for some breathing! It still sounded like someone was trying to snore into a cup of water, but progress is progress.

Carrie and Shane are taking a long nap as I type this. I took a computer break, checked my work email, and typed up this entry. I've had to run down and chase Ranger off a few times as he's tried to play beside my sleeping boys head. I'm going to miss him, but that's another entry for another time. I've had enough of a break and I should get back to work on my portfolio or something work related.

Keep those prayers coming! Shane's healing, but a little help never hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment