Thursday, November 29, 2012

Kitchen Cannots

I was talking to my brother, Matt, on the phone and I was surprised to hear that he was cooking dinner. It was some sort of pesto chicken with corn and rice. Sadly, I had to hang up because of an explosive-leaking-through-Shane's-pants diaper situation, or I could supply more detail.

I called out to my wife. "Hey Carrie! Matt cooks! Maybe I should learn how to cook some more basic things."

She replied, "No."


My wife desires me to be helpless in the kitchen.

My cooking skills are limited to the microwave, peanut butter, sandwich meats, toasters, and anything from the freezer that has a picture on the back with detailed steps. Cooking is not an inability for me as much as it's something I never desired to learn on my own. As a teenager/young-adult, if it took longer for me to cook it than it would take for me to eat it I had no desire to do it. 

Now, I have a family and I would not mind learning more since I wouldn't be the only one partaking. 

My wife comes from a cooking family. I don't always understand them, but I do get a lot of good meals out of our relationship. Plus, Carrie likes to watch the cooking channels, so I've already (at least) quintupled what I knew about food when we first married. I don't have any physical experience with the techniques or the skills to prep anything, but I've learned enough that I'm at least intrigued with some of the possibilities.

Years ago, I offered to be my wife's sous chef.

She replied, "No." 

My wife enjoys 'having an edge' on me. My kitchen bumbling/inexperience often amuses her. So far, it all outweighs the benefits of sharing the kitchen workload.

If I do start poking around the kitchen, Carrie is quick to intervene. I am immediately shooed me out of the kitchen and made a meal. Tonight, Carrie made a seafood chowder with salmon and corn and a loaf of bread (Carrie's gone nuts with the bread maker since we bought it and I'm not complaining!). Dan came up and she ladled him out a bowl, too.

Really, it's not such a bad gig. I eat well, and my wife encourages me to be a pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment