Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Busy, Busy

Work doesn't get much busier than this time of year.

There are IEP meetings, addendums, progress reports, goal reports, and teaching all crammed in. On top of that, I have my homebound job and my tutor family asked me to start coming again.

Speaking of my homebound job, it's definitely been interesting. If I had known how much work it was going to be then, I wouldn't have volunteered. It is an experience. Since I signed up, I plan on seeing it through. I should have some stories by the time it's done.



Here's what frustrates me: I've been "on the job" for 10 days and I've only seen the student four times. There was the one time I had to leave, and then I've been cancelled on six times. I feel bad, because I have students who are asking me for help after school. They are responsible and ask me during the day and I can't commit. I tell them I have an afterschool assignment and then it gets cancelled around 3:15 PM when my students in need are already on a bus home.

The consolation is I do get some pay for each cancellation. I don't mind taking the money since I'm earning it. Whether I saddle up and meet with the student or not, I still talk to teachers, collect work, and only one of my visits has been 'normal.' Trying to commit the time necessary each day plays a little havoc with my planning, as well.

Today, I cancelled my committee meeting (it's good to be the chair) and I planned on making parent phone calls until my homebound meeting for the day wasn't cancelled.

My student was very unhappy to see me. He made it evident. He was angry, passive-aggressive, and outright rude the whole time I was there. I could tell early on the name of his game was to get me to leave. I called the wrong bluff on my second visit when he showed this attitude. I thought he was being a combination of stubborn and/or couldn't cope with frustration, but wanted to succeed on some level then. When he ignored me for half an hour with his headphones in, I told the mother and packed up early. I recognize the mistake now.

My student was probably hoping for a repeat. I could almost see the idea clinking around in his head "If I get him to give up and leave, I win." My student told me that he didn't like me and he would have worked for another homebound teacher. He would announce how many minutes were left in the session, complain that he did not want to work, and that he wanted to become homeless, etc. etc. At one point he got up and turned the TV towards the table we were working at. He turned on the Fairly Odd Parents, grabbed some pop tarts and tried to ignore me. After I stared at the wall quietly for 15 minutes refusing to leave, I think he was guilted into doing one of the worksheets he swore he would not do.

It's a victory, I suppose. I got something out of him (even if it was all done wrong). I'd almost given up when he cracked.

I wonder what it will be like next time.

Going into the job, I hoped that I would make a difference for this kid. If I do, I think it will be more of a "planting the seed" difference than anything I will see come to fruition. Hopefully, the roots will stick and he'll make progress somewhere down the line for someone.

Obviously, I can't say names, but prayers for "Mike's homebound student" are welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment