Saturday, December 12, 2020

Nature Day

A young deer surprised me as I was dumping stems and hay by the arena. It took me a few moments to realize it was even there much less to photograph it. I called Shane and Carrie over and they got to see it before it walked into the woods.


Carrie tried to go Dr. Doolittle, but the deer had no interest. It may have been alone, but it had also lost its spots. It wasn't a baby anymore.

It wasn't the last time Shane and I were outside either. We drove into town to meet up with Dylan and Eli for another nature hike! The boys were happy to run around and look at the river together.


Which let me go off the beaten path with them none the wiser. Otherwise, all three probably would've wanted to pee in the river with the whole world watching!


Eli must have been reading my thoughts, because he did pee in the river before we continued on!

There's a statue near the bridge that we always pass, but I don't know if I ever really looked at it before today. The boys noticed it, too. I had to tell Shane not to try and climb it.


John found Eli a walking stick and we were on our merry way. 


He chased Shane with it for a moment and my moron son ran into the park road to avoid him. There was a car coming, but it was far enough off and going slowly. I hollered at Shane and made him walk beside me until we crossed under the bridge.

"I didn't want to get smacked on the butt!" Shane said.

"So you'd rather get splatted by a car? I need you to have more brains than that!"

An older man walking a dog seemed to enjoy the exchange. I bet he was imagining his own kids when they were younger.

The boys led the way and played some sort of game. It was indecipherable to John and I.


They had character classes like Barbarian and Paladin and leveled up and had items....but I think it was mainly Shane making stuff up out of the blue. He certainly talked non-stop!


Dylan and Eli wanted to show us a 'beach' they discovered.


Dylan immediately took his shoes off. "Sitting in the sand at the beach is his happy spot," John said. "It's a sensory thing. He can play in the sand for hours."


It wasn't for hours, but play in the sand they did! I would've let Shane take his shoes off, but I was thrilled when he chose not to.

John was less thrilled when Eli decided to roll around in it, but what can you do? Joy is joy!


We stayed on the beach for what felt like half an hour. The boys wanted to jump off the 'cliff' a few times when it was time to go.


Action shot!


Carrying Eli became a thing on the way back. First, Eli hung from one of John's arm like a possum as we walked. Then he hung from one of mine!

Shane wanted in on the action.


The adults prohibited piggy-backs under the bridge (next to the drop off),..


...but they started right back up after we passed. Dylan and Shane took turns and Eli rode with glee.


We spent over two hours on the trail before we went our separate ways. I wanted to roll a Costco trip into the journey since we were in town.

Shane wanted to wear a full face mask to protect his eyes from exposure. "I can see through it!"


Which didn't happen. Costco donated a disposable mask to the cause.


We picked up a pizza on the way out for dinner and a rotisserie chicken for Carrie.


It would've gone better for her if she ate the chicken, but that's a different story! We were out of the house for nearly 5 hours with the travel time included. We got some exercise, saw some friends, and picked up groceries. A rousing success of a Saturday in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment