Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Little Skills Gained Here and There

"Shane Finnegan! You forgot to shut your door! Go out and do it!" I called out.

Shane was already on the front porch. 

"Daaad! My hands are full!" (Not really.)

"Figure it out!"


Shane scowled. I could have kicked it shut for him. He knew it. "Can you shut it, Dad?"

"No. It's your job. I'm going to unlock the [front] door."

"Hmmph!" Shane shifted his lunchbox to his other hand. Then he went back and shut the door. HE sighed. "Do I have to do this every time?!"

"Yes."

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad he has to shut the door, but puzzled that you didn't use please or thank you. Even though you are the adult, it's good to model good manners and respect for all. Why not just say something short and simple like, "Shut your door, please?" And answer his question, "Do I have to do this every time?!" with "Yes, thank you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he got asked please a time or two and then walked off. At that point it became a command. I usually say "thank you for listening" after he's done the deed, but sometimes he'll have to deal with it if I forget.

      Delete