Saturday, April 16, 2016

Which fits better: ShaneurDay? Or Dadurday?

First garage sale of the season. My coworker, Cindy, told me her street was having it. She told me that she had a 'kit car' her son loved. "[Audi] said he'd move the seat back and still use it if he could!"

Shane woke up earlier, so we investigated. He was a fan.


I paid $35 for the kettecar and some kid books. That's more than I would normally pay for anything at a garage sale. However, Cindy's love for that car burned bright. She loved, Shane loved it, and I love to spread good cheer. I bet Shane's excitement brightens her weekend (and it was a tough week at school so I'm sure we all need it!).

Of course, that cleaned me out. We pedaled past the other sales.


Shane wanted to go for a drive straightaway. He needed to eat breakfast and get ready for soccer, though. We missed last week when we were in West Virginia. We left as Carrie started to get ready for work.


Practice started off productive. The weather was gorgeous. Shane kicked and passed and listen to coach....

...until he decided he was too tired.


It's not like the kid was forced to wake up early. He's the one that barged into my room and hopped on the bed! Shane opted out of most of the end of practice game. When a coach checked in with him, Shane said, "I'm too tired."


I made Shane stand up after a while. I didn't want him to get kicked or eat a ball. Mostly, I left it alone. I cheered if he ran around, and did my usual bit throwing in soccer balls.

At the end, someone pulled out a tablet and team spirit was kindled anew.


Shane had plenty of energy to try our his new car when we got back (though, I made him come inside and snack and rest for a little bit since he was too tired for soccer. I didn't want to punish him for not trying, but a short rest and refuel seemed a natural consequence/learning opportunity).


Shane was a little timid with it and didn't stay at it as long as I expected. That was fine, because there was a festival he wanted to go to.

On our way back to the car from soccer, Shane and I walked with Coach D and his son, Lucas. Lucas told Shane he was going to "the fair." Coach D clarified: The Tom Tom Founder's Festival was downtown and free. Shane wanted to go.


So we did.


What Shane really wanted to do was find Lucas. "He'll recognize me because of my shirt!"


No one we knew crossed our path, and Shane wasn't interested in anything else. From there, we went to the discovery museum.

Which we discovered was under renovations.


Thankfully, they had a "Pop-Up Museum" around the corner.


I like to let Shane run around and try to interact with the other kids on his own. I don't want to be the focal point of all his interactions. I do jump in with ideas at times (otherwise I'd get bored).

Today, I suggested we build a house. I built the foundation with Shane and then stepped back to let the kids do the rest.


When they ran out of blocks, I suggested a bear for a roof. Shane agreed.


Then he upgraded bears and added a sheep.


It will be fun to see the VADM when the renovations are done in May. The Pop-Up was short on kids. Shane and his new friend, Carolyn, were the only kids most of the time we were there (I'm big on telling Shane, "If you learn someone's name it shows you care.").


We still had a lot of fun (and free parking!). When I brought Shane home, he was cranky. "I promise I won't nap!"

An hour and a half later he's still up there. Completely silent.

Mission accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very successful day! Lots of fun, good exercise, fresh air and time with friends. I like the Kettecar! That's a German pedal and coasting car for kids. They cost over $200 new, so I think you got a great deal. There are a bunch of Youtube videos on them. Walmart and ToysRUs has them and they get high review. Just be careful that Shane doesn't get run over. Maybe take it to a big empty parking lot for him to ride. It would be so cool if his daycare would let you bring it to school for him to share with the other kids one day. It's a lot more fun to ride with friends around. I'm so glad he's doing soccer again.

    ReplyDelete