Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Shane's Expanding Vocabulary

Shane's vocabulary has grown! I don't know if it's from having tubes put in his ears or if it was just a coincidence of timing.

Shane's new words include "Go," "Nana," "Banana," "Whoa," and something that sounds like "Ah-Gee." I haven't figured out what that last word means, but he sure likes to say it. He's also pointing at letters and can say "A," "C," and "E" but it's random what name he assigns to what he points at. There are plenty of other words that he will try to say like "Chair," "Horse," and "Balloon" that I understand even if your typical passerby would not. Shane's approximation for "Kitties" will still drop some jaws if he were to say it in public.

The speech therapist has been visiting, as well. She comes on Friday and hangs out for an hour with Carrie and Shane in the morning. Carrie said that the therapist spent the first day asking a lot of questions and watching how she and Shane interacted. Then she offered some advice and assigned us homework. The next week she checked in and she did more interacting with Shane, but it was still a Shane and Carrie with suggestions sort of endeavor (or so I understand).

While there has been some progress since Shane started therapy, I don't think she's the source of the new sounds. She hasn't been working with Shane long enough, but now that things are in place and he's picking up sounds I hope I can be conversing with my son soon! (Or at least having a conversation that doesn't only involve Shane shouting the word "SEE!" and pointing).

The therapy will also be more effective once we start doing all the homework...

You'd think I'd be better at that as a teacher. We did 3 out of 4 things assigned so I guess that's a C.

If only politicians could get things right that often!

No comments:

Post a Comment