Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Shane and the Medicine Miracle

Shane is finally taking medicine in a manner which doesn't involve a two-man team and barfing. He still thrashes, but once you get him pinned down he will actually swallow the medicine instead of trying to spit it out or gagging on it when he cries.

This is a miracle.

I had to watch Shane all on my lonesome for five days while Carrie was out of town. In the past, I'd solo hold him down and give him medicine, but it was a messy affair. I much prefer to mask the meds in a small bottle and avoid the fight. The last round of antibiotics had a very strong smell (and I guess a strong taste) and Shane refused any med bottle proffered. We had to get the meds in him, so the syringe battles commenced. Thank God, by day 3 of 10 Shane decided to cooperate partly. I just have to pin him down (he's a strong and thrashy little booger), stick the syringe in and say "Sip."

Maybe he likes the taste. Maybe he realizes resistance is futile.

Either way, Shane's taking meds easier now.

I hope he doesn't forget how to cooperate the next time a prescription is issued.

No comments:

Post a Comment