Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Drafts Revisited: Oh Irony

Here's another old draft that was mostly done. I'd completely forgotten about this incident. I probably didn't post it, because (while funny and ironic) the tone could sound like whining.

My motto: everyone needs to vent sometimes, but if you do it over and over it's whining.

Nana's motto growing up: No one likes a whiner.

I agree.

But a single story is venting, right? Not so!

If you post something online, someone can read it more than once. That makes it whining. Posting something online to later discover you can't "take it back" is a lesson often learned the hard way.

Hence, this languished as a draft. I rarely dwell on the lemons of life, and the memory faded. I chuckled as I read this, and I guess that turns my mood on the date of publication for annoyed-but-amused-by-the-irony, to a nostalgic-amused.

Mondays, Mondays, Mondays...

My Monday started off looking like it would be an easy one. The student school year was over. My start time was later. With the new house, my commute distance was shorter.

Sunday night, I offered to help drop my brother, Matt, off at the airport. The catch? He wanted to drop by my house with Renee at 4:15 AM. That wasn't so bad, though. I got to do baby bottles, read some, and get my day rolling before Shane woke me up anyway.

The hour drive to work sucked. Sixty minutes for six miles. I used my horn more in that hour than I had in the past six years (to which my coworker, also a Matt, said, "In a Prius that may cost you gas mileage!"). My time and patience was not the only casualty of my commute: my laptop had been in sleep mode instead of hibernate. When I pulled it out of the bag, it was burning to the touch.

Blue Screen of Death = Bye-bye Hard Drive

If my commute had been the normal length of time, I would've safely discovered my mistake. As it was, my computer died right before I needed it. Plus, my school's techie said the servers were down all week for re-imaging and he couldn't return it to me before next Monday. I had closing documents to work on and an interview Thursday (which emailed on Wednesday saying "bring work samples" which were all on my laptop and server account).

It was funny to show up to my tech interview and confess my school computer was broken.

By the way: I learned my lesson. I always double-check that my laptop is ready to transport now. It's better that I learned that lesson at the end of the school year than at any other time during one!

Thank God, in hindsight for that timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment