Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"You know?"

I picked up a verbal tic this year. Nana pointed it out.

I ask "Does that make sense?" or "Do you know what I mean?" more often than I should.

Nana said, "It's like you're constantly seeking reassurance! What's up with that?"

However, she had a point. I would much rather be told and know than remain in the dark. Nana is very good at picking up verbal patterns. She's also not the least bit afraid or hesitant to point out what she notices! I must have picked the habit up from the resounding silence I sometimes get in class.  

I said it a few times as a joke, but then I started to notice I really was saying it without meaning to. I asked Carrie if she noticed and she said, "Yeah......"

It's a habit, but a breakable one. I'm on the watch now (and Nana is sure to point it out if I do it, too!). There's a proverb about how a fool takes correction vs a wise person. I did not celebrate the initial reveal, but I am glad it was pointed out. 

Just a humbling moment I thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment