Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Nostalgia: Foot in my Mouth

Have you ever thought something in your head, said it out loud, and then everyone else in the room heard something different?

This happens in my family more often than most. Nana and I are the most common victims of 'crowd misconceptions.'

My classic example goes back to when I taught at an Alternative Learning Center (aka: all the kids were expelled from public school). My last year at the ALC, I taught an online at-your-own-pace Algebra I course for 8th graders. There were only five boys in the class, so I got to know them well. I really liked my motley crew.



One day, the boys made one comment too many.

"All right," I said. "That's enough from the peanuts gallery."

The comments stopped. All of the boys eyes were locked on me; their faces registered shock.

I knew something was up, but I had not a clue what it was. If it was one boy, it would've been one thing. But  all of them had a surprised/puzzled look. Did I inadvertently make some sort of gang reference (it was that kind of school)? One of the girls who claimed a Blood affiliation was a big Snoopy fan.

Or perhaps the boys misheard me.

"OK. No one's in trouble. Tell me what you think I said." At the time, I figured it was better to know than have it become a hidden joke.

One of the boys, Marshall, was impulsive enough to answer. "Did you just say penis gallery?"

Laughter exploded.

I gave it a second (since yelling over that much laughter would accomplish nothing positive) and then I said. "Peanuts Gallery. You know, Snoopy? Charlie Brown?"

Marshall, who was doubled over trying to catch his breath, looked up, put on a wacky smile, and said "I'm going to tell my mom!"

More chuckles followed. At this point, I knew where I stood. I had made a funny. Nothing would make it unfunny (and I cannot lie; I found it all funny myself). I could either let it stand and move on, or make a transition comment to show that I didn't care and move on. If I tried to defend the point, I would only be prolonging the funny and further pulling the class off track.

I choose to make a tell-your-mom-if-you-want comment and move on. "Your mom would get it [referring to Peanuts, the comic]"

The laughter stopped and all the kids had that shocked "WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?" looks on their faces again.

Shit. I just made a "Your momma" comment after the kids thought I made a "penis" comment.

How's that for putting your foot in your mouth?

No comments:

Post a Comment