Thursday, January 17, 2013

Efficiency

If being old means you quote annoying dad quotes, I've been old for a decade now.

Growing up, my dad used to always tell me to "Work smarter, not harder." I'm sure Pop-Pop always thought he'd slip it in at teachable moments, but as a teenager I remember it always coming at annoying ones.

You know, the moments when I probably should have listened.

The moment I started quoting my dad to my students, I knew I'd come full circle. Mark Twain was right.

I am a huge fan of efficiency. 

Less effort for more work accomplished?  

Yes, please! 

I'm not always a great multi-tasker, but it's the only way to get things done with a child. It's like my Grandpa Vern always said, "It doesn't matter if you have one kid or more: they take all your time and what do you have but all your time?" 

I'm looking forward to the day that Shane thinks of chores as games. Having fun getting stuff done: efficiency! We can play "Vacuum Warriors!" and "Load the Dishwasher for Blast-Off!"  

I think my inner child just cringed.

No comments:

Post a Comment