Thursday, January 17, 2013

Car Ride Conversations

One of the things I want for my son is a relationship with his great-grandparents.

I have no memories of mine. There are pictures; there are stories. I'm in them, but they're not in me. It's always struck me as a little sad. They influenced my early life, and I know they loved me. It's clear in the stories and pictures, but I want something more for my son (maybe that's par for parenting).

I love efficiency, and traffic where I live is anything but efficient. There's nothing like staring at another car's bumper and playing "How Many License Plates Can I Memorize?" It doesn't take long to start imaging all of the wonderful things I could be accomplishing if I wasn't inching along the roadways.

Something I started doing after Shane was born that has really enriched my life is using my commute to call loved ones. I was never a big fan of talking about myself, but now that I have a son I always have someone I like to talk about.

Who better to call than Shane's great-grandparents?

I want Shane's great-grandparents up to date in my son's life, and I want him to know them when he's older. I also want to keep up with them, because (surprise!) they're my grandparents, too.

There's (in alphabetical order):

Grandma Lois (so as not to confuse her with Grandma Carrie's Mom. Maybe Gran-gran would be better?)
Jama
and Mom-Mom.

Grandma Lois is a Cornhusker fan and proud Nebraskan (aren't they all?). Jama is from warm and sunny Beaumont near the Gulf (and where I get my excitability from). Mom-Mom is Carrie's grandmother who lives in Montana. Her husband was extraordinarily tall and probably the reason Shane is such a large boy (I'm about the same size as Pop-Pop and we aren't giants). They have all led full lives and are full of stories.

Now that I've started calling on my commute, I wish I'd started earlier. I enjoy talking to my family. Plus, they're always willing to hear my Shane stories. That's what grandparents do! I don't always have my phone on me (or charged), but when I do I always feel like a quick call can change a boring commute into time well spent.



....and just in case any of them are shy, you had to click to see these pictures!

Uncle Jim and Shawn insisted on getting a multi-generation photo when the family gathered for Matt's wedding.

There's a multi-generation shot involving Mom-Mom and Carrie's family somewhere out there as well. I'll add that here whenever I get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment