Thursday, April 27, 2017

Gaining Confidence

The routine has not changed in two months: Thursdays are swim lessons.


I did find a new place to sit. It's like sitting in tropical rainforest in the pool area. The AC in the main gym was much appreciated.


The real story happened after the lesson. Shane likes to play around for a little bit when he's done. He prefers the warm (and crowded) pool. However, the water gets too deep for him midway to stand and keep his nose above water. He ventured out (barely) too far once and a lifeguard had to reach a hand out and pull him back (he was near the wall, so it was no problem - both the guard and I were watching).


Today, Shane kept trying to crash a private lesson. He'd 'bonded' with the teacher before the lesson started (aka she smiled at him) and he wanted her to see him swim! I told Shane to hop out and went to get him a towel.


Instead of getting out, the stink relocated to the deeper side. He stopped in front of the lifeguard chair and looked across the water at me standing with the towel. Then he launched off the wall and started to swim across.

The pool is about 20 or 25 feet across. Shane's normally good for 5 or 10 feet before he stops and stands. The lifeguard looked at me and went on alert. She slid out of her chair and sat on the wall with her feet in the water. I stepped right up to the edge and did my best to look calm.

It was an ugly swim, but Shane was making progress! He'd flail forward, halt to breathe, and then duck his head and splash some more. As long as he didn't panic, he had a chance to make it. I crouched down ready to grab him when he was 3/4 across. Shane plodded along until I reached out and grabbed him. "Daddy! I did it!"

And he did!

I was both elated and on edge.

I tell you, Shane's swim was the most stressful part of my day. When he got halfway I started to calculate if I'd get there quicker or if the lifeguard would if he foundered.

I gave Shane and big cheer and made a mental note to sign up for another month of lessons.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Shane! Great job being an awesome daddy, Mike! We are so proud of both of you!

    ReplyDelete