Sunday, April 9, 2017

Spring Break Day 9: The Finale

Carrie spent most of the day exhausted and sleeping on the couch, so Shane and I did a lot of running around again.


The day started with Riley's family moving. They said they'd outgrown their house with their two kids. I wish we'd seen more of them, but they tended to stay inside and at least one of their dogs had some anxiety/stranger issues.


We went to church for Palm Sunday, but that didn't exorcise all the stink from Shane. I dragged him out of the house kicking and screaming. When we got outside, the protests stopped, and it was a wonderland.

We walked the trails.


Shane watered some plants.


The stream almost watered Shane.


Rocks were thrown.


On may shores.


Bugs were crawled after.


And we did something I've wanted to do for a while. There's a "Private property: Keep out!" sign on a faded trail that looks like it was old and abandoned. Certainly, there's no one around or anything other than weeds. There is a young neighborhood on the hill behind our house. If you walk further on the legit trail (not through the keep out sign) you come to a faded path that leads to some overgrown bulwarks and some decrepit steps.


And lots of wildflowers. Shane only had an eye for the wildflowers.


The crumbling concrete steps brought us up between two houses. There was only a small slice of green between the houses. One property was fenced. The other was not.

We skedaddled up quickly. I wouldn't have thought twice as a kid, but most people find bearded adults in their back yards questionable. Shane's a great way to give myself carte blanche to explore. Kids prove theirs nothing mischevious going on. A dad's got to follow his son, right?


We found some of the new construction we've been hearing. We also heard our chickens singing their egg song faintly in the wind.


The new vantage point finally let me get a look at a house in the woods behind ours.


It's got a really long driveway that twists, so it's invisible from the road. I've been curious, but, again, I'm not really about to walk onto someone's property for no good reason other than to see what's there.


We went to a library book sale afterward. I loved this sign.


Sadly, the sale was a week old and in two words: Picked over. I probably could have found some stuff for me, but there was nothing for Shane.


We rendezvoused with Dylan, John, and Eli afterward. Shane had been asking all day (and then mysteriously didn't want to go when Mommy woke up and put on Zootopia....the draw of electronics is strong.....and Dylan put on Home Alone 2 the moment we got there!).


I got the boys to take a fifteen minute board game break. I taught them how to play King of Tokyo (simplified). They teamed up to take me out. Anything competitive leads to fighting and tears, but I can take a loss.


It went really well! Then they ran off to play a game or something. It's social when friends are involved. John and I sat and talked....or I sat and John cooked, cleaned, and helped Eli stash toy animals in the refrigerator off and on while we talked.


When Krista got back we eventually took all the boys on a walk/run to finish the night.


My next door neighbor, Courtney, waved from a driveway as we trotted by. We're really starting to know more and more people as time goes on.

Meanwhile, Carrie was mostly recovered and packed. She showed me some pictures of Mira's behind that indicated tonight could be the night. She almost left, but was tired enough she stalled and I convinced her to wait a night. Monday was slated to be a busy morning with school starting back up. Carrie's really excited about this foal!

No comments:

Post a Comment