Saturday, April 22, 2017

Entertaining Oneself

Shane's funny about entertaining himself. He usually only self-entertains when A) I ask him to clean, B) get ready to go somewhere, or C) right before he poops (and I'm not kidding).

If I say, "Why don't you play with your Legos?" Shane replies, "Will you play with them with me?"

I'm not against playing with my kid, but Shane wants constant attention. I believe in the power of boredom. Sometimes these cause a conflict.

Shane can be really creative when he does decide to go off on his own. He's got a bit of a builder's streak.

He made a machine that would drop mealworm treats on the chickens Saturday morning. They started on the truck, which dropped them on the box, which slid them onto a pan, which poured them between the floorboards and onto the chickens.


Books are growing more entertaining, as well. Shane will read Mo Willems books out loud to himself.


Now, I offer to read books to Shane ALL the time, so that's not entirely independent entertainment..........and he often says, "No," (Rats) or "I'd rather watch TV" (Too bad).


Sometimes, books kick off ideas, though. Shane used his toys to rebuild the weasels' machine after I read him Weasels.


Overall, it's a good thing we keep running into other kids. Often times, there even one's we know! We ran into Iggy and Lucy from Tee-ball and after school at Costco Saturday. Their dad was on distraction detail, so Shane and I followed along. Shane's social and it's great to build relationships.


But back to the Legos, I still can't fathom how Shane won't play with those on his own. He must get that from Carrie, because I love those things. I don't play with them in front of him, I guess, but....LEGOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment