Friday, February 19, 2016

Wrestling Season Ends

Last Thursday, I got an email at 10:00 PM: "Winter Sports Banquet Tuesday." I emailed my parents the next day.

Tuesday, school was closed. The banquet was rescheduled.

Thursday night, Shane and I went.

I had two surprises:
1) The season ended Friday.
2) I had to give a speech.

Thank God, the cheerleader coach went first. I had some ideas going in, but I wasn't sure what the admin expected. 

However, the season end caught me completely off-guard. 

I asked when the season ended before, and was told "March 9th." I double-checked my email when I got home. I wasn't crazy; March 9th was there. 

My first thought was "No way! Let's at least go another week!" 

Then I thought about it some more. I wanted to show respect to whoever the spring coaches were. We're all on the same team. No one poached kids from me when my season started. I emailed all the parents Friday to thank them for a good season.

There were a lot of surprises this winter. The next should go smoother. All the kids said they want to come back. We'll have our own end-of-the-season party next weekend (I thought I had weeks left to plan).

And I have one last surprise. A parent told me that the HS already hired a new Wrestling Coach. I didn't expect a new coach to be hired so soon. Our kids only got knocked out of Regionals last Saturday. It sounds like a great hire, though. The new coach reffed our first match, and then I met him at CWC. He's a guidance counselor in the building, so he can recruit. If I can build the middle school program and he can build the high school one the city can be more competitive a couple of years down the road. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment