Monday, March 8, 2021

Just When You Hit a Rhythm

I feel like things are falling into place.

The barn chores have gotten easier. It's screen door weather. 


The fields have dried. The boys get to stay out in their pasture and the girls are on a half day turn out. That means less poop to scoop and hay to throw....just as Shane's learned how to be more helpful! We did some 'spring cleaning' over the weekend and since school was asynch on Monday and Tuesday, I started to work on clearing out old hay.


I used to collect stems and rake up the mess at least every other day, but it was a chore that fell by the wayside. Between the constant rain and Carrie's surgery I put it off until now. Nearly a whole season's worth had accumulated......and been rained on, peed on, stamped into the mud, and partially decomposed. My nose would crinkle whenever the wind decided to waft it my way.


AKA, it was a mess. 

Keyword: "Was."


The boy's side was worth about 20 pressed down and overflowing poop buckets. I may need to rake up some more before throwing down gravel dust down for leveling.


But the lion's share of the work is done. The amount of time and energy I need to spend on chores is waning. The overnight temperatures are predicted to be pleasant, so I won't need to unhook the water each night or even worry about blankets!

And to top it all off, Carrie's moving around more. She's been cleared to walk around some without crutches and even sit on the back of a horse.

It's been incredibly busy, but things feel like they've fallen into place.

Right as it's all about to change. I go back to teaching physically instead of virtually on Wednesday. 

Life: Whenever you think you've got the routine down, look out!

I've started to set my alarm clock for earlier (6:30 AM), so that I have time for chores and to prep my body for Daylight Savings (Bah!). 

I almost drove in to work on Tuesday to plan, but the barn ran out of propane. The 20 minutes I waited for a refill took up the time that would've been my commute and killed whatever desire I had to go in.


I picked up shavings on the same run to freshen up some of the stalls, too.


Change is on the way, but at least the barn's in a good place! We made it through winter and easier spring days are on the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment